Thursday, November 25, 2010

All Day - Girl Talk

I'll admit it - I love Girl Talk's new album, All Day.  It's not generally the type of music I dig, but there's something to be said for the ingenuity of the mashups.

For those of you who may not be familiar with the artist, allow me to give you the lowdown.  Girl Talk is a guy who does mashups - combinations of different songs forged together to create a new one.  Killer mashups, I might add.  Generally the songs he chooses are not my style (he mostly draws from mainstream pop, rap, and rock), but I find myself tolerating crude and occasionally offensive lyrics for the awesome beats.

Occasionally there are some Elizabeth-friendly songs used in the mashups, like Derek & the Dominos:

This album never gets boring.  Maybe this is my musical ADD speaking, but I love how different elements from a wide array of songs are weaved together into incredibly dynamic tracks.  So where would I listen to this music?  Let's just say that the gym is about to see much, much more of me.

One of my favorite tracks is That's Right, which introduces some serious magic when BeyoncĂ©'s Single Ladies is brought in around 3:00.  The vocals are combined with some cool syncopated horns, which provides a new perspective on the song.

Every Day is a good one, too.  Think of a damn catchy rhythm piano under a rap.  Then think of an amp-up of the piano, morphing into a high-energy 80's rock band under... more rap.  Surprise surprise.  Fast forward a minute or two, and we hear a familiar piano riff: it's John Lennon's Imagine.

I leave this album with the impression that it could very well be better than most of the songs that it's made of (Imagine, Casey Jones, and Layla excluded).  But hey - mad props, Girl Talk.

Whether it's tofu or turkey, have a great Thanksgiving.
Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment