Saturday, November 20, 2010

Best Coast 19 November 2010 @ Smith College, Northampton MA

Last night the Californian surf rock trio Best Coast transported us to the land of sunny shores and lazy days.  Everyone was grooving to the high-energy tunes and having a grand old time.
The band played a solid fifty-minute set, comprised of lots of short-lived tunes and an encore.  Each song seemed like a total tease - maybe they wanted to give us a sampler of what they had to offer or maybe... they're just not Phish.  I guess jam bands have spoiled me.
Each song ended somewhat abruptly, sort on on an upbeat that you didn't expect.  It was kind of awkward, but kind of cool.  After a while the songs blended together for me into one big fast-paced, guitar-laden mess.  A hot mess, I might add.

Here's a taste of their sound: 
 
There was more of a sweetheart feel to Bethany's voice than I had expected - after listening to lots of their studio-recorded stuff, I remembered how crazy it is to expect the same onstage.  But what we got was better: I loved her rounded tones and sixties mod vibe.

(And I loved her pants!)
Her lyrics are heartfelt and occasionally touching, with lots of oohs over her gritty guitar interspersed.  There may not be too much substance to the stuff, but it's definitely catchy.



Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!
Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment